Thursday, September 6, 2012

Bead Quilled Jewelry


A few years ago a great beading book came out called Bead Quilled Jewelry by Kathy King. I purchased the book loving the concept of the stitch but sadly the book got pushed to the back of the pile and I haven't looked at it for awhile. Two weeks ago I was skimming through my books and came upon the book again. Kathy suggests using size B Nymo thread in a lot of her designs so I purchased all of the available colors for the shop. I don't normally use Nymo so I knew that this was going to be an adventure. I have been so immersed in my designs that I just wanted to step out of my box for a little while and follow someone else's directions. I got my beads together and got to work on one of the first beginner projects in the book. (Page 29 Scroll Earrings) I was so excited by the stitch that I don't think I even looked up from my table for over an hour. This stitch was fresh and different from anything I have ever done. I have been beading everyday for almost 10 years so it was so nice to sit and try something new. I will say this....if you are confident in your stitching then you need to get this book and try it out. The stitch is based on square stitch but you use the thread to accent instead of trying to hide it. The beads sit on their sides so you SEE most of the thread. It took 2 hours but I got the structure of the first earrings made. They are really artsy looking but they are a lot smaller than what I am used to wearing. If someone likes dainty stuff then they will love these earrings. When I get to the shop tomorrow I am going to add some crystals to the top of my structures to make them a little longer. Below is a picture of the structures. I will try and post a picture tomorrow of the finished piece. I used 6mm Red Magma, 4mm Olivine, size B Brown Nymo, and 11/0 silver lined smoked topaz Delicas.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Translate