Monday, November 14, 2011

Mummies

So today Sammy and I had to spend the day in Charlotte. Sammy had to go to Court for a hearing early and I thought that since we were in Charlotte we might as well make a day of it....and boy what a day! I read last week in the Charlotte Observer that the Discovery Place Museum was getting a new exhibit....Mummies of the World. So, after the hearing we headed on over to the exhibit and let me tell you...it was amazing! There are 150 mummies and artifacts on display and it is simply a sight to behold. I think the thing that amazed me the most was that they had Jewelry on display that Egyptians had made to put on Children that had died. They said these were talismans to help the children in the afterlife. What blew my mind was the detail in these pieces and how thousands of years ago they could make such beautiful pieces. They even had a necklace on display that was made of glass beads. They had a beautiful look of gold stone and there were other yellow and brown colors of beads.

The whole exhibit was something that I will never forget. And, after all these years, I finally know why the Egyptians used Scarabs! They used to put a scarab over a persons heart between the layers of wrap to protect the heart and make sure no one stole the heart. Pretty crazy huh?

If you live anywhere remotely near Charlotte then you need to plan a trip to see the exhibit before it leaves in April. Kids and adults will love it!

Its back to the grind tomorrow!

No comments:

Translate